Good Times at Cypress Point



Mike Green, Scott McWhorter, Jim Tallent and myself were playing at Cypress Point this past Saturday (lucky us). Weather was chamber of commerce beautiful, not a cloud in the sky, about 60 degrees with a light refreshing ocean breeze. We teed off on 10 and played the backside first as the weather brought out more than an average days play. We played our way around the course to #3 a 161 yard 3 par with a slight wind into us and off the left. The pin was back right, a tough spot to get to I thought. I asked our caddy, Bob, do you like the hard draw 9 or a smooth cut 8? "Smooth eight, Chris", I concurred. Nice rhythmical swing, slight fade, coming in high and nice, tracking, clanks the pin then disappears apparently on the fly. For a few seconds we had to think what just happened. Then we all realized short of any other explanation...it was in the hole. High fives ensued, a small celebration, but until we got to the green and saw the ball actually in the hole, we couldn't be 100% sure. The ball had ripped the hole up pretty good. It's a memory etched forever.

Hole 9, our last hole of the day, is a 290 yard drive-able 4 par with a narrow entry, a gaping deep bunker on the left, and drop off to death on the right. Scott hit a wonderful tee shot that just dribbled off the right fringe about 20-25' from the cup with a ticklish chip. Yep, you guessed it, clutch cargo holed it out for an eagle 2 to finish a rather surreal day. Scott was three under on the last 5 holes and shot even on that nine (better watch out Khaki Team).

I must admit on #16, the hole is so amazing, so storied, so beautiful, but mainly so visually intimidating that as I lined up my 19 degree rescue I was so freakin' nervous I was worried I may miss the ball entirely (I almost did).

Would I swap out a brand new jawbone in exchange for my ace on #3 at Cypress Point Golf Club.....hmmm.....trust me, I have my priorities in line, I'll keep my ace thanks.
Captain Chriznak.

3 comments:

andyepp said...

Congrats on the ace Chris! Yeah, I as kind of busy that day; glad I didn't get the invite :)

Joe Gillespie said...

Wow Chris....congrats!!! what an unbelievable place for that to happen. Quite a moment there.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the ace, that is so cool. I had the pleasure of playing Cypress one time and was able to coax a 3-wood on #16 to about 15 feet for a birdie. Not an ace, but maybe the most memorable swing I have ever made. CP might be the finest piece of land ever - I can't imagine what could be better...